It’s not uncommon for celebrities to make millions during their careers, but unfortunately, some of them also manage to spend it all. In this article, we’ll take a look at some famous names who ended up broke and penniless by the time they passed away.
- Judy Garland: Despite her success in Hollywood, Judy Garland died with only $40,000 to her name. This was due in part to her lavish spending and financial mismanagement by her managers.
- Sammy Davis Jr.: Despite his legendary career as a singer, dancer, and actor, Sammy Davis Jr. died in debt. His finances were affected by his extravagant lifestyle, failed investments, and addiction to drugs and alcohol.
- Burt Reynolds: At the height of his career, Burt Reynolds was one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood. However, he filed for bankruptcy in the mid-90s after investing in a failed restaurant chain and divorce settlements.
- Gary Coleman: Despite being a child star and earning millions from his role on “Diff’rent Strokes,” Gary Coleman declared bankruptcy in 1999. He later struggled with health issues and financial problems until his death in 2010.
- Mickey Rooney: Despite his lengthy and successful career in Hollywood, Mickey Rooney had to continue working until his death at the age of 93 due to financial problems. He had to sell his house and personal possessions to pay off his debts.
- Dennis Hopper: Dennis Hopper was a successful actor and filmmaker, but he also had a reputation for being a heavy spender. He went through a messy divorce that left him financially drained and declared bankruptcy in 1996.
- Sherman Hemsley: Sherman Hemsley, best known for his role as George Jefferson in “The Jeffersons,” passed away in 2012 with an estate worth just $50,000. He had reportedly struggled with financial problems in the years leading up to his death.
- Leif Garrett: Leif Garrett was a teen idol in the 70s, but his success was short-lived. He struggled with addiction and financial problems throughout his life, and he filed for bankruptcy in 2001.
- Tony Curtis: Tony Curtis was a Hollywood icon, but he passed away in 2010 with an estate worth less than $1 million. His finances had been impacted by divorce settlements, failed investments, and excessive spending.
- Isaac Hayes: Isaac Hayes, best known for his work as a musician and composer, passed away in 2008 with an estate worth just $2 million. He had struggled with financial problems after losing the rights to his music catalog in the 80s.
While these celebrities may have passed away with empty bank accounts, they have left behind a legacy that will never be forgotten. It serves as a reminder that no matter how successful one may be, it’s important to be financially responsible and plan for the future.
Leave a Reply