Sixteen Candles is a classic teen movie that captured the hearts of many viewers when it was released in 1984. The film follows Samantha Baker, played by Molly Ringwald, on her 16th birthday as she navigates high school crushes, family drama, and the general chaos that comes with being a teenager. But what happened to the cast of Sixteen Candles after the film’s release? Let’s take a look at what they’ve been up to and how they look today.
- Molly Ringwald (Samantha Baker) Molly Ringwald was already a well-known actress by the time she starred in Sixteen Candles, having previously appeared in films like The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink. After Sixteen Candles, Ringwald continued to act in both film and television, including a role in the popular television series Riverdale. She is also a published author and a jazz musician.
- Anthony Michael Hall (Ted) Anthony Michael Hall played Ted, Samantha’s love interest in Sixteen Candles. He went on to star in other classic ’80s films like The Breakfast Club and Weird Science before taking a break from acting in the ’90s. He later returned to acting with roles in television shows like Psych and movies like Foxcatcher.
- Michael Schoeffling (Jake Ryan) Michael Schoeffling played Jake Ryan, the popular senior who Samantha has a crush on. After Sixteen Candles, Schoeffling continued to act for a few years before retiring from the entertainment industry to focus on his furniture-making business. He is still married to his high school sweetheart and has two children.
- Gedde Watanabe (Long Duk Dong) Gedde Watanabe played the memorable character of Long Duk Dong, an exchange student from Japan. Watanabe continued to act in film and television after Sixteen Candles, including a role in the musical The King and I on Broadway. He has also done voice-over work for animated shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- Haviland Morris (Caroline Mulford) Haviland Morris played Caroline Mulford, Jake Ryan’s girlfriend. After Sixteen Candles, Morris continued to act in film and television, including a recurring role on the soap opera One Life to Live. She also earned a degree in psychology from New York University.
- Paul Dooley (Jim Baker) Paul Dooley played Jim Baker, Samantha’s father in Sixteen Candles. Dooley continued to act in film and television after the film’s release, including a recurring role on the television show Curb Your Enthusiasm. He also wrote and performed a one-man show about his life called “Upright and Personal.”
- Justin Henry (Mike Baker) Justin Henry played Mike Baker, Samantha’s younger brother. After Sixteen Candles, Henry continued to act in film and television, including a role in the movie Kramer vs. Kramer, for which he received an Academy Award nomination. He later shifted his focus to writing and producing, working on shows like Grey’s Anatomy and Revenge.
- Joan Cusack (Geek Girl #1) Joan Cusack had a small role as Geek Girl #1 in Sixteen Candles, but she went on to become a successful actress in her own right. She has appeared in a number of films and television shows, including Working Girl, In & Out, and Shameless.
In conclusion, the cast of Sixteen Candles has gone on to have varied and successful careers in the entertainment industry and beyond. While they may look different today, their contributions to the world of film and television continue to be cherished by fans of the classic ’80s movie.
Leave a Reply